Friday, July 23, 2010

For Paige

So as most of you probably know by now one of our group leaders, Paige, was struck and killed by a truck three days ago. It was an accident and no one did anything wrong. If you want to know more about it you can go to the Bike & Build website at bikeandbuild.org. Paige was an incredible person who had an incredible zest for life. I know I am a better person for having known Paige. My plan as of now is to continue on with the trip, which I know is something that many of you probably don't want me to do but I feel like I need to in order to heal. I don't know yet if I'll be able to get back on my bike, but I do intend to try. Tomorrow we are starting our trip to St. Louis for the memorial service which is taking place on Monday. After the memorial service we will return to Chandron, NE where we have been the past couple days and skip ahead in our route to Wyoming so we are where we are supposed to be. We will still make it to Seattle on time.

Today we were originally going to go to Mt. Rushmore but we scrapped those plans in favor of helping clean up in Chadron after a nasty hail storm blew through yesterday and a tornado touched down on the other side of town in a trailer park. We spent the day cleaning up yards and fixing windows. It was good to be able to go out and do something for the community after they have been so great to us.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Lake St,Chadron,United States

1 comment:

  1. Liz,
    I am so sorry to hear this news, but glad that you were able to share it. Has the program provided some grief counseling?

    We all care for you and will have your safety and healing front and center in our prayers. Remember that while we all applaud your courage in getting back on your bike and continuing on, we will not think any less of you if you make a different decision. This trip has surely had its valleys and its mountain tops, and has provided you with lots more life experience than some folks get in a long lifetime.

    You are loved,
    Old Aunt Marilyn

    ReplyDelete